The Green Room

7 Quick Takes (17)

1

This morning I kissed my husband good-bye, shut the door behind him, and made a beeline for the brownies. Will I ever grow out of sneaking sweets? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

2

An unexpected side effect of dressing more modestly is that I am now super-aware of other women's cleavage. Of course it's always something I've noticed, but now I am just so cognizant of it that it makes me really uncomfortable. (I wonder if that's a taste of what guys feel like?) I try to look anywhere but at the woman's chest, and I often feel a little bit embarrassed for her. I totally did not expect that.

3

I'm going back to Houston next week to give a talk in my department. Really, the talk is just a convenient excuse to fly down there and actually talk to my committee members. My adviser in particular is so hard to get a hold of and never replies by email, and the best way to deal with her is to sit her down face to face. That's difficult to do when you're working 1500 miles away.

4

On the upside, I'm so excited to get to see all my friends when I'll be there! I miss having girlfriends.

5

I get back next Saturday, and on Sunday we're getting the dog - a 2 year old beagle named Cricket! We're really excited!

6

We're now taking bets on who will be the Alpha Dog in our household. My husband the scientist is certain that with his "iron will" he will be. I counter that, as the one home all day with the dog, I will clearly be in charge. (After all, I'm the one who's put my foot down about the dog not sleeping in our bedroom or begging during dinner.) My FIL just laughs and reminds us not to expect him to take the dog out.

7

Have I mentioned that I've never had an indoor dog? Do you all have any tips or advice for us as new pet owners? Please?