The Green Room

Modesty resources

Are you tired of this topic yet? I know my husband is! But at the risk of boring you, I just wanted to put up a short list of resources that I compiled when I was researching modesty. If any of your New Year's Resolutions involve modesty, I hope this will be a help to you!

Where to find modest clothes (ie, what you want to spend your Christmas money on)
(H/T to Hallie Lord/Betty Beguiles for most of these shops. Note that I've only bought from one of these sites so far.)

Shabby Apple
Mikarose
Christa Taylor
Shade Clothing
Funky Frum
Modest Maven on Etsy
Modest Mama Creations on Etsy
Modest is Hottest onsie on Etsy (it just made me giggle)
Living Modest (apparently there are some 150 clothing companies listed on here! I'm going to have to make some time to check them out!)

Update: more sites to shop from below!
New Creation
Diviine Modestee
DownEast Basics

Update (October 2011): I went through and reviewed all these sites again. In all honesty, the only two I would actually buy from are the first two: Shabby Apple and Mikarose. Other than that, simply be picky at the store or look into sewing your own.

I know personally I'm a bit wary of buying clothes online - I'm a big fan of trying them on first. But there are so many options here that I'm really contemplating giving it a whirl in 2010! Also, if any of you try out the layering shells, I'd love to hear how you like them! Here's the one purchase I've made so far, from Mikarose. I love it!

(No, that's not me in the picture. Who stands like that? Also, I wear a red undershirt with mine for a pop of color.)

Where to read more

Betty Beguiles (blog under her pen name) and her weekly post at Faith & Family
It's So You! (book, which I haven't read)
Choosing Beauty (book, which I haven't read)
Drawing a Hemline: Sexual Modesty and the Pursuit of Wisdom (article)
Don't Wear That Mini to Mass (article)
Catholic Young Woman on modesty (series of blog posts)
Wikipedia's page on modesty

How to help your (pre)teen daughters embrace modesty
(I don't think any of you have daughters this age, but you might someday!)

Pure Fashion http://www.purefashion.com/
All Things Girl series http://www.atgseries.com/
Runway to Reality http://www.runwaytoreality.org/
Decent Exposure www.decentexposureonline.com/
Modesty Zone http://blogs.modestlyyours.net/

Any other resources that I've missed? Any plugs for sites I've included here?