The Green Room

Can I live without a ponytail?

I wear my hair in a ponytail almost every day. It is not a cute ponytail. It is a "I pulled my hair back when the baby woke up so I could nurse her without it getting pulled and then forgot about it for the rest of the day" ponytail. It is not a cute "messy" look, but simply sloppy. And when I look in the mirror, all I see is some frizz around my ears.

This is disappointing, because I really love my hair. And it's time I do something about it. After all, this is the easiest and least expensive way for me to look pretty. My goal for improving my wardrobe is for it to be a natural evolution, as I find a piece here and there, so it could still be a while before I feel pretty in all my clothes. In the meantime, I at least want my hair to be pretty. And that means my frizzy, bumpy ponytail has got to go.

I know what I need to do - a No Plain Pony November!

Would you like to join me?

The Challenge: Don't wear my hair in a plain ponytail for the entire month of November.

I'm not giving up on wearing my hair up period, because that would just be stressful. The point is not to wear my hair down no matter what, but to try to look pretty - and I would not feel pretty if my hair is down but all stringy. That's why it's no plain ponytail - a nice up-do might make me feel just as pretty and not necessitate a shower.

Starting Tuesday, my hair is going to be down, or half back, or in a pretty headband, or in some other style that is not a plain ponytail. (Caveat: When I'm working out, it will probably be in a regular junky ponytail. But until I hit the road or get to the gym, it has to be down or done. Otherwise I'll wear it in a plain pony all day with the excuse that I'm "about to" work out.)

Below is some up-do inspiration that I found, for when the month and my enthusiasm are waning.

30 Hairstyles in 30 Days. Anyone want to buy me the ebook?

Gibson tuck tutorial, with video.

Head scarf tutorial.

Twist and Pin, with video. If you're really brave!

Three easy pretty styles.

Ten quick and easy styles for long hair.

I'm not really into braids, but I like this second style.

Twisted Sister tutorial. (Click to see original large version.)

Knot Your Average Pony. (Click to see original large version.)

Are you inspired yet? No Plain Pony November starts Tuesday!