The Green Room

7 Quick Takes (9)

1

How can we make friends? This single quicktake could probably be it's own post, but instead I put it first here in the hopes that you all will read it and help me out. We have lived out here for a good year now and have yet to really make some good connections. We have one couple (he's a coworker of my husband) that we really like, who already have a 3 and a 6 year old. We love hanging out with them and their kids, but we kind of wish we had met them six years ago, you know? So how do we make friends with other young couples who want to start a family in the near future? I hate to think we have to wait to make couple friends until we're all taking a lamaze class together! My preference at this point would be for our future children to make friends with our friends' children, not just us to make friends with our childrens' friends' parents. Did that make sense? I don't want to depend on our currently non-existent children for friendships.

It's not like we've just been sitting around at home. (Well maybe we did the first couple months, but we were newlyweds - enough said.) Actually now that I think about it, a lot happened this year to prevent us from really getting out at the beginning. And since I work from home every day, I don't get out much. But in the past 4-5 months we've actively sought couple friends: we played in a coed soccer league, we got involved in a community garden, we participated in church groups (this is one place I have to give a nod to the Protestant communities I've been in - much easier to make friends than the RC churches I've been in out here). And yet we're still kind of waiting. Any suggestions?

2

I have worn my new boots every day. Well, every day that I've changed out of my pajamas and left the house. Hasn't got old yet!

3

I signed up for Support a Catholic Speaker Month. In the next week or so, look for a post about Dr. Pia de Solenni! I don't really know much about this New Feminist, but that's part of the fun. If you're interested in joining in, it's easy - just check out the website and choose from tons of great speakers that you might never have heard of. For example, Dawn at I Hate Socks did one about Brenda Sharman, who I had never heard of but am now glad I have!

4

And speaking of femininity, I have to admit I love romantic comedies. (Although some of them are introducing a bit too much of the raunchy humor for my taste, but that's another post.) But have you noticed the pervasiveness of the "chick flick drunk scene?" No? You will after reading this post. (It's short - do check it out!)

5

"Birth control is not healthcare. It's a lifestyle choice." Thanks NFPworks - that's a great way to put it!

And also check out her latest post for a peer-reviewed article suggesting that family physicians learn about and promote NFP!

6

I recently came across an older post from Fallible Blogma entitled "The Sin of the Century." Before you click on the link, can you guess what it is? I didn't get it right, but he sure did!

7

Faith is not a strictly intellectual pursuit. It is good to use reason to understand specific concepts, but there needs to be something more. The past couple weeks I was praying for wisdom (so was Jen), and what did I end up with? A strong desire to spend more time talking to God. Not thinking about Him or reading about Him or His Church or how to be holy, but one-on-one conversations about what's going on in my life and in the world. Not at bedtime, when I fall asleep halfway through, but when I'm awake and can take the time to actually listen for His responses. Shoot. I need to get off this computer and get to that!

While I do that, you should go check out www.conversiondiary.com for more QuickTakes!