The Green Room

7 Quick Takes (12)

1

My husband the scientist has recently revealed just how much he hates grocery shopping. Two weeks ago, he offered to clean our bathroom if I would just go without him. I actually like grocery shopping, so I had no problem with this plan! I came home to a clean toilet, tub, floor, sink, and mirror!

Then last weekend, he offered to sweep and mop the kitchen if I would go without him. I asked if he would vacuum the living room also, and he immediately agreed. Score for me again! Any suggestions of what to ask for this weekend?

2

On the other hand, this made me feel extremely guilty two days ago when I wasn't able to run to the store for a mid-week stock-up. He graciously agreed to go. Then I had to confess: it wasn't because I was working so hard on my research that I didn't make it... the real reason I didn't go was because I had gone clothes shopping instead and ran out of time. He was in shock.

3

The good thing about my husband the scientist going grocery shopping is that he always makes sure to buy brownie mix while he's there. When I came home from my meeting that night, I could smell the chocolatey goodness from the garage!

4

The women in my ENDOW group are the most affirming people I have ever met. Seriously, I love being around these women. The world wouldn't think of them as anything special - mostly mothers, about half of which stay(ed) at home with their kids. They've never done anything extraordinary according to the world's standards. But they love. And they have such faith. Sometimes I wish we could get over our reality tv-induced desperation for fame and realize that theirs is truly the life well-led.

5

A while back The Philosopher Mom linked to another blog post entitled Yes, Every Sperm is Sacred! I checked it out because I liked the quote about holiness, which has been on my mind for a while. Although I didn't get everything the author was saying about essences, one part struck home with me:



This is how I related it to a Protestant emailer who was rationalizing the use of birth control as something that “if God really wants to, he can overcome [the pill or the condom] because he is God.” He wrote:

Here’s the thing … I don’t agree that using a condom or spermicide “actively precludes” God’s involvement in your life. As I said earlier, a condom or a spermicide is a paltry obstacle to the One who spoke the Heavens into existence. He can and has intervened in that way many times.

Yes, I understand his point. But that is a fast bit of rationalization – I know because when I was younger, I subscribed to pretty much the same notion. “You’re God, you can do anything, so if you really want me to have a baby, you’ll make that happen even if I’m using a spermicide, a condom and taking the pill…”


All true…but that’s not surrendering. It is barricading oneself in but with an overall view of “well, if the fortress is breached, I’ll sign the treaty!”


Surrender – “not my will but thine be done” – is the ultimate goal. It comes with an open door, not a barricade, or it is no surrender, at all.


Yes, it’s a difficult thing to communicate to people. Some accept it, some don’t. I don’t judge anyone, because I’ve walked the whole walk, myself.


That was totally me. No, I didn't actually email her and tell her my story, but that was definitely my rationalization for a while. It feels so good to have surrendered!

6

On a lighter note - this video is hilarious. H/T to Fallible Blogma.

Update: I don't actually recommend watching other stuff by this guy. I was just browsing youtube videos by him thinking he might actually be a clean comedian and no, I was definitely wrong. That was just the nice version for television. Bummer.

7

I was so proud of my internet savyness when I discovered that H/T was short for "hat tip." No joke, it took me months of wondering what it meant before someone was finally kind enough to write the words out.

For more Quick Takes, check out conversiondiary.com!