The Green Room

Christmas after a loss

It's hard.

Since I know there are several of us who have lost loved ones this year, I thought I'd take a moment to ask for two things from you dear readers.

First, for your prayers for God's comfort and consolation and the peace of the Holy Spirit to be with those suffering from loss. Feel free to add your specific prayer requests in the comments. Mine is for my husband, father-in-law, and brother-in-laws as they experience their first Christmas without my mother-in-law.

My second request is for your gentle suggestions of anything that may help people through this time. Of course despite any helpful advice, it's still going to be sad. Even though it's the birth of our Savior, and we want to be joyful, there will be at least pangs that are bittersweet. But so far at least, I have felt that there are still joyful moments in this season.

The two suggestions we are trying this Christmas are the following:

  • An ornament with the departed's name and/or picture. (You might be a bit careful with this one. I gave this to a friend who lost her brother two years ago and she really appreciated it. However, she also got one from her mom and rather resented it. Just be sure to try to feel the recipient out if it's not for you.)
  • A stocking for the departed, which each family member puts a little something in. (I think this is going to be really hard. I expect a lot of tears when we go through it.)

Please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences with honoring a loved one. And to all, who are suffering and who are not, I wish you a truly merry and peaceful Christmas.