The Green Room

7 Quick Takes (31)

1
Since we've moved, we've also changed parishes. While we were sad to leave the other one, where we were finally getting to know people, we were excited about the opportunities at our new one. Now we have one more reason to be excited about it: the priest from our previous parish is being transferred to our new one! This means that the same priest that confirmed me and served me my first Eucharist can also baptize our first baby! We're so excited!

2
I went to Babies 'R' Us yesterday and was completely overwhelmed. I must have really looked lost and scared, because four different salespeople asked if they could help me.

I thought I had a bit of a handle on the things you do and don't actually need when baby comes along - after all, I've poured over all the comments Chelsea got, and these two other posts have helped me keep focused on the basics. But, um, there are like 30 varieties of the basics that you have to choose from. The stroller section alone was almost enough to make me hyperventilate!

So in a couple of months, when I've mustered up enough courage to go back into a baby store, I will be asking you all for specific advice. Please don't let me down!

3
I actually had to call my mom this morning because I was still traumatized from the experience. She promised to come out and go through the store with me to help me. Thank goodness. Apparently you never need your own mom more than when you're about to become a mom yourself!

4
I got my husband to take the first "bump" picture of me this week, before I start showing. (For a good example of what I'm going for, check out Chelsea's pregnancy pics.) The thing is, um, I have a little bit of a gut already. As in, if I just had a big meal, it kind of looks like I'm starting to show. I thought about sucking in, but that seemed kind of like it would be cheating. But I didn't want to intentionally pooch it out. After looking in the mirror at every variation of how much to suck in, here's what we ended up using:

10 weeks

Not too bad, huh? And don't worry - I'm not planning to inundate you with these pictures. Well, until like two months from now when I do a single post with all of them. But then it'll be cool, right? Maybe?

5
The dog has taken to crying. At first we were worried that maybe there was something wrong and she was in pain. Now we've pretty much decided she just wants attention. As in, both of us sitting on the couch with her sandwiched between us, with one of us rubbing her head and the other her belly. This dog is in for a rude awakening come December.

The crying is also going on during the night. What?! If this is nature's funny way of preparing us for a screaming baby, it isn't working. Because I have no problems letting this dog cry it out; if anything, I yell at her. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be feeling more compassionate, but I'm not.

And lest you be too concerned, yes, we are taking her to the vet tomorrow, just in case.

6
It seems like I'm always complaining about the dog. So, here are some pictures just to prove that I do actually like her and I'm not a horrible dog-hating monster.

We take her out to the garden with us and let her play under the car:

When she gets hot and bored, we let her hang out inside the car, and she even rides shotgun:

When she's too wimpy to drink from the faucet, we let her drink out of our hands:

I let her cuddle up in my lap when I'm trying to blog get work done on the computer:

We let her cuddle up and nap with us on the couch:

See? I do like the dog, most of the time. Sorry for complaining about her so much!

7
We have a busy weekend and following week ahead, but I won't bore you with the details. I hope you all have a great weekend! Happy Friday!