The Green Room

7 Quick Takes (38)

1
I mentioned last week that we finally got the curtain rods put up, two months after I bought them. I let the rod just sit there for all that time because I didn't want to be one of those nagging wives (and I was too lazy to do it myself). Well, it took all of two days for my husband to start nagging me about making the curtains for them! In my defense, I was waiting to start them until the rod was up, so I could see how long they should be. Here they are, strategically positioned so you can see them in both the open and closed positions.

2
The other thing keeping me from working on the curtains had been the baby quilt I was sewing. I finished it! It doesn't really look babyish, but we like the bright colors, so we're okay with that.

While I did enjoy quilting, I have to say I'll probably not do it again, unless one of our brothers has a child in the near future. It's a lot more work than sewing something like curtains or clothes!

3
My belly has definitely gotten bigger in the last two weeks, and boy is my bladder feeling the pressure! But if frequent trips to the potty are my only issue, I figure there's really nothing to complain about!

(We forgot to take a picture this week. I know you're disappointed!)

4
When will people learn that by scoffing at your choices, they only make you more determined to follow through with them? The other day my dad laughed and said "We'll see how long that lasts" when I was talking to my parents about cloth diapering and co-sleeping. He didn't intend to be mean or anything - he just doesn't think we'll stick with it. Which of course makes me even more resolved that we will!

5
The gospel earlier this week was Matthew 11:20-24, where Jesus reproaches the towns where he's worked miracles for not repenting. It made me think of the whole "To whom much is given, much is expected" (Luke 12:48). I know it's a good and necessary reminder, but yikes! Does anyone else sometimes get nervous when they hear things like that?

6
I've been toying with the idea of incorporating whole wheat flour into our diet. Before I do that, though, I just want to check: is the off-brand whole wheat flour I see in the grocery store really that much better for us? Or is that just some sort of marketing trick, and to get the health benefits I have to get a more expensive type of flour?

And do you have any tips for using whole wheat flour in recipes?

7
I was so flattered to receive a blog award, from three different people!

The rules of the award are as follows:

1. Thank the person who gave it to you.
Thanks to Natalie at The Chemistry of a Mom, Maggie at From the Heart, and Emily at Attempting Grace!

2. Tell seven things people may not know about you.
This is a tough one. Haven't I already blabbed everything about myself? And whatever I haven't blabbed, my real-life friends that read this already know. Nonetheless, I'll try.


1. I played club rugby all through college and loved it! I didn't even know the difference between rugby and lacrosse when I left for college, and yet within a few weeks I was tackling people. So fun!

2. I can't decide whether I'd like to decorate our house in a more antique, Victorian style (along the lines of the curtains above and furniture like our loveseat and fainting sofa) or in a more country style (along the lines of the quilt above, which has several bandanna prints, and our bedroom quilt). I figure I'll end up with some sort of merge between the two, perhaps hinging on the toile and check prints that seem to go well together. As long as there's no paisley, my husband is fine with it.

3. I don't know how to pronounce toile. I'm talking about this type of pattern:

4. I secretly love our dog. I like to complain about her and talk about the superiority of outdoor dogs and how we'll never have another strictly indoor dog... but she's so darn cute! She is sleeping on my lap as I type this. Anyway, let's just not let my husband know that I actually like her, okay? Then I might have to take her out more often!

5. One of my worst habits for years and years was popping my knuckles. It took a while, but I was actually able to break that habit! My husband (then boyfriend) hated it, and that was my motivation.

6. My husband the scientist motivates me to do a lot of things. For example, he wouldn't propose to me until I finished my two required papers for graduate school. Let me tell you how quickly I did that once I knew what was hinging on it!

7. I grew up in 4-H and loved it! I learned everything from public speaking to table setting, from sewing to interviewing, from cooking to clowning, and a gazillion other things. I hope we end up living in a county with a good 4-H program for our kids!

3. Pass this on to 15 other bloggers.
You've gotta be kidding me - fifteen?! That's a big number! Also, most of my favorite bloggers are already getting this award. So how about I say this: my favorite bloggers are pretty much the ones that regularly comment on here. Those are the ones I always try to read, and recommend to other people. So if you're looking for new folks to follow, scroll through the comments! And if no one happens to comment today, go back to conversiondiary.com and check out all the other great Quick Takes happening around the blogosphere!