The Green Room

Homemade Christmas Gift Challenge

Please forgive me for bringing up Christmas before Thanksgiving is even here. But I'm in the midst of gift planning and I just had to do it.

Last year we limited all the gifts we gave and received to American-made. This year I thought it would be fun to take that a step further and make all of the gifts we'd give myself. My husband thought a first grandchild/niece would be enough of a gift and we didn't need to give anyone anything else. And while that would certainly be an all-American, homemade gift, I don't quite think our brothers would fully appreciate it.

Doing only homemade gifts sounded like a great plan at the time. I was going to have all this time on my hands, so it would be a breeze! A month and a half later and I have 3.5 gifts completed. That leaves somewhere between 7-11 projects still to start, depending on my ambition. I think I could actually make this goal if I had 'til December 25, but I'd like to get these done before the due date, so that gives me approximately 33 days.

Clearly the thing to do is blog about this instead of actually work on it.

Here's the list of potential gifts that I came up with. They're all sewing-based, because that's my craft of choice, although I also love food gifts!

  • Aprons
  • Fleece vests
  • Purses/bags
  • Robes
  • Fleece blankets

Will you be making any Christmas gifts this year? What are they? Have you ever received any really good homemade gifts? (Can you tell I'm scouting for more quick and easy gift ideas here? Do help!)