The Green Room

Meatless Meals: Beans

My good friend Heather is a vegetarian. She is also a gracious hostess, and when I was having to fly back and forth to Houston, she would always let me stay with her. She even insisted on letting me sleep in her bed while she slept on the sofa!

The first time I was going to stay with Heather, though, I was a little worried. Um, did I mention she's a vegetarian? What the heck would we eat? Perhaps Heather could sense my trepidation, so she made sure to whip up a winner. She put together black bean burritos... and I inhaled them! What a revelation! A meatless meal truly could be tasty and filling!

My wise friend not only agreed to give me her recipe, but showed me the trick of wrapping them individually in foil and freezing them. She simply pulled a frozen burrito out in the morning and took it with her to campus, and it was thawed by the time lunch came around!

Thank you, Heather, for introducing these burritos to me and putting up with your meat-biased friend.

I don't actually have a picture of the finished product. I ate it too quickly.
But isn't this picture of the filling pretty?

Heather's Bean Burritos

Ingredients
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 black and 1 pinto)
1-2 tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can, diced)
3 green onions, chopped
2 cups cooked rice (white, brown, leftover, instant bag - whatever!)
2 cups shredded cheese (Monterrey jack, cheddar, pepper jack - whatever!)
1/2 packet taco seasoning mix
2 cloves garlic, minced (that's a tsp of the jarred kind this lazy cook uses)
3 Tbsp lime juice
3 Tbsp canola oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I'm a spice wimp and still put this in)
1 package burrito tortillas
Hot sauce, if desired (I don't desire)
Guacamole, if desired (I do desire!)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray baking sheet. Do all your draining/rinsing/chopping.

2. In a large bowl, mix together beans, tomato, green onion, rice, cheese, and taco seasoning.

3. In a small bowl, combine garlic and lime juice. In a slow, steady stream whisk in oil until dressing has slightly thickened. Add crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper to taste.

4. Stir lime dressing into bean mixture. Add hot sauce to taste, if desired.

5. Slightly warm tortillas so they'll be easier to roll. Spread some guacamole along the center of each tortilla, if desired. Top with bean mixture. Fold the edges up and roll up into burritos. Place on baking sheet.

6. Once you've crammed all the burritos on there, spray with cooking spray. Cook until heated through, about 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Makes 10 burritos. So basically can serve 7-10 girls or 5 hungry boys. Depending on the day, I may or may not include myself in the "hungry boy" category.

Do you have a good bean-based recipe to share?