The Green Room

What's on the walls matters

This is part two of a multi-post series on cultivating a home that glorifies God. Part one is here.

I've never been into the whole Mary thing. I've read up on it and understand why Catholics honor her (not to be confused with worshiping her), but I've never really felt that connection that so many Catholics have.

At one point I decided I should do something about that. Providentially, I stumbled upon a picture of Mary and Jesus that I actually liked. Buying it was about the extent of my devotion, though, as I didn't even get around to hanging it up. I left it perched on the dresser, soon to be covered up by clothes and papers and baby shower gifts.

Fast forward to December 2010. My beautiful firstborn is here and instead of the peaceful suckling I had imaged, I'm writhing in pain as I stubbornly continue to breastfeed. I'm in bed surrounded by pillows, trying to nurse in a reclining position like the lactation consultant described. With teeth clenched, I look up and realize that for once our dresser is cleared off and Mary and Jesus are directly in front of me. And it occurs to me that hey, maybe I should pray about this whole breastfeeding thing. You know, more than my frequent and desperate pleas to "Make it better!" And maybe it's time to get serious about intercessory prayer while I'm at it.

I wish I could say nursing immediately became easy and I developed an amazing relationship with the Lord's mother. Nothing that dramatic happened. But I did learn the importance of our surroundings - specifically the importance of having Christian reminders throughout our daily environment.

As I was pondering how our home could glorify God, I recalled all this. And in my typical initially-overzealous fashion, I decided that all the images in our house should be religious. But there were three problems with this. First, the artwork we already had (mostly done by my husband) was not religious, and we still wanted to display that. Second, I didn't want to be that crazy lady whose walls were covered with so many religious pictures that you're kind of scared to be there. I'd just like one tasteful reminder in each room of our home to point us toward our true home. It may be big or small, subtle or attention-grabbing, but I don't want it to have to compete with a dozen other things.

I hesitate to list the third problem, but I try to be honest on this blog. Here goes: I find that a lot of religious artwork is ugly. I know, I know, this is a matter of personal taste. But we have centuries of gorgeous Christian artwork, and yet when I go in the Catholic bookstore I often cringe. I'll relent that the icon stuff, while not particularly attractive to me, is interesting and instructional. But you won't find (and I hold my breath as I give this example) an image of the sacred heart of Jesus in my house.

Not because it's not holy and worthy, but because when I look at it I'm underwhelmed and completely uninspired. (I earnestly welcome your corrections in the comments so I can have a greater appreciation for this!) This type of image seems fairly typical.

I am picky. I want something that I find beautiful. A reproduction of a classic masterpiece will do, but it doesn't have to be old. Here are two current things that I've stumbled across.

Our home is still (very, very) far from being filled with beautiful religious artwork. I managed to get a crucifix in each bedroom. Mary did make it up onto our bedroom wall. There are several things in Miriam's room (courtesy of baby shower gifts) and as soon as I find an acceptable frame I'll add this painting of the biblical Miriam

Maybe not the most breathtaking, but the best painting I could find of Exodus 15:20-21. I particularly like that there are nursing mothers in the crowd. Apparently I have a thing for that.

The walls in the rest of the house are still mostly bare (though not white, thanks to the previous owners). We are a work in progress. Between my penchants for being tight and being picky, I imagine it'll be years before our home actually feels finished. That's okay. Because when it does finally happen, our walls will direct our thoughts heavenward. And that will be another way our home glorifies God.

What kind of artwork is hanging on your walls? Are there any religious images you particularly like or don't like?