The Green Room

Our First Fruit!

Written by Gregory

So, I went a bit overboard this spring and bought 13 raspberry plants and 1 blueberry plant. That's in addition to the 4 apple trees, 2 blueberry plants, and 1 cherry tree we planted last spring. (And in addition to our little plot of vegetables.) It sounds like a lot of fruit trees and plants, but with the drought of last summer and the flooding this spring, I didn't expect everything to survive.

That being said, all of our apple trees and our cherry tree have been doing great! And of the 13 raspberries I planted, 6 of them look like they've made it through the extremely wet spring. Furthermore, 3 of the raspberries are already bearing fruit, we ate our first cherry from the cherry tree, and we have blueberries and apples growing!

Here's some pictures of our raspberries. They taste great and our daughter loves picking them!

Here are our apples. We're very excited about the possibility of eating home grown Golden Delicious, Red Rome Beauty, and Honeycrisp apples! Can you see the apple in there? They have already grown a bit since I took this picture 2 weeks ago.

Finally, here are the blueberries. They've slowly been disappearing before they ripen. I think something has been getting to them.

There aren't any pictures of cherries. There has only been 1 so far, and my wife and I already ate it!

As you can see, we're pretty excited about our plants. We only have about 1/4 acre lot, but we've been working hard to figure out where we can plant different fruit trees, bushes, and vines. Now that I'm learning what works and what doesn't, it'll be interesting what else I can fit into our yard for next spring!