The Green Room

it's a mystery

Why in the world do they sell buttermilk in such large containers? Have you ever in your life seen a recipe that calls for one quart of buttermilk?

No, I bet you haven't. Inevitably you buy a whole quart of it, use less than a cup, and then it sits in your fridge. Does anyone have a recipe that calls for buttermilk so I can use this up? Look how much I still have:

Oh, no. Do you see that? No, because the picture isn't clear enough. But in tiny letters at the top it says SELL BY JUN-16.

Guess what day I bought this? JUN-16. Guess what day I used this? JUN-18.

Well hey, that's the sell-by date, not the use-by date. And isn't buttermilk just sour milk? Is it even possible for it to go bad? Come to think of it, I believe my roommate Christina and I had this conversation last year. I think we decided it didn't.

Until it did.