The Green Room

a hair-brained scheme?

It's official - I'm a crazy lady.

You know how I'm always talking about our future babies? Well, I'm taking it a step further. A good 7 years in advance, I've decided I want to homeschool them.

Brooke, I'd like you to know I'm blaming this crazy idea on you. Not that you have ever in your life said a word about homeschooling. But it's because of you that I'm blogging and sometimes read Pioneer Woman's blog, and she's cool and makes homeschooling actually seem cool. And then I keep reading other people's blogs and they homeschool and even though it's hard they love it. Just this morning I read five different blog posts about homeschooling (including this one about deciding to do it). (No wonder I haven't been getting my real research done quickly!)

I was tentatively planning on sending them all to Catholic school. And I still might for high school (I don't want to be responsible for my children's calculus knowledge). And I still might, period. After all, I have no fantastic reason why we should homeschool instead of that - I'm just so intrigued by it, and it almost feels right. Yikes!

I finally got up the courage to tell this to my husband the scientist. I was ready for him to roll his eyes and tell me to stop reading other peoples' blogs. But he just kind of shrugged and said as long as they go to Montessori School (at least preschool) first, he's open to the idea. And that actually works, since both employ child-directed learning.

I don't want my imaginary future children to be social misfits. But then again, I'd rather them not go along with society one hundred percent. I've always wanted to teach, and my imaginary future children could never have a teacher who cared about their learning more than me. What a beautiful and challenging lifestyle of learning!

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system, I'll try to pull it together and talk less about things that are way in the future and might not even happen. I apologize for wasting your time - I just had to get it off my chest. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy and list reasons why I should never even contemplate such a thing. Or why of course I should do such a thing. But I'm telling myself I'm not allowed to bring the subject up until we at least are with child. So it'll be awhile.