The Green Room

how do you define "attractive"?

I think every woman wants people to find her attractive. But I've been thinking lately that there are different kinds of attractiveness. I think maybe we should make a distinction between dressing to be beautiful and dressing to be sexy. The first one is not so bad (as long as you're aren't completely consumed with vanity and obsessed with other people's opinions, of course). The second one is not so good. I mean, it's certainly fine to want your husband to think that. (He'd better!) But it's not fine when elementary school girls think that.

Surely it would be better for a man to find a woman beautiful rather than lustful. Something about a woman who strives to be beautiful seems to demand a lot more respect than a woman who strives to be sexy.

What do you think? Is there or should there be a beautiful/sexy distinction? Do we objectify ourselves by dressing either way? Do you dress for one or the other or something else completely?

Please note: I have to admit that this is not something I've ever considered before and I am just as guilty as the next girl of wanting to look sexy. However, the point is moot when I wear workout clothes everyday :)