The Green Room

Boots!

Yesterday was my 27th birthday and I finally got something I've been wanting for years: cowboy boots!!

I remember in college when I wanted boots. I took an old pair of my dad's boots and stuffed newspaper in the toes. The novelty wore off in about 20 minutes, when I couldn't take the pain any longer. And when you're limping around, boots do not look cool.

Then I went to grad school in Texas. And fell in love with the Houston Rodeo. And all my boot desire came rushing back again. And I looked at the price tags of those beautiful boots and realized that wasn't gonna happen. Those things do not come cheap! So I just satisfied myself by salivating whenever someone with boots came near.

Then my husband the scientist jumped on the boot wagon. My husband who is in fact a scientist from Northeast suburbia. He bought these bad boys:

They're ostrich skin - the dots on the leather are from where the feathers were plucked out. Let me assure you, he looks darn good in them. You should hear the compliments he gets, from all kinds of people! We can't go through airport security without someone telling him what nice boots he has. I beam with pride at my husband's good taste. He watches like a hawk to make sure they don't steal them.

After a couple years of wavering between "I really want a pair of boots" and "I will not allow us to spend that kind of money on shoes" my husband the scientist took me to the leather store this weekend and told me I was getting boots for my birthday. Oh happy happy day!

After trying on half a dozen pairs, I settled on these:

They come in all kinds of styles and colors, but these stole my heart. I just love the classic, authentic boot look. And I like a pointy toe on women's boots.

I was a bit concerned that they wouldn't be flattering, as I have gigantic calves. Not in a bad way - I like to think they're shapely. But the wrong height of boots can hide that and make them look big all the way down. Luckily, this was not really the case for these beauties.

Look how good they look under jeans:

And under my skirt - the picture doesn't even do it justice:

Be still my heart!

So in the spirit of being materialistic (just for one day!), what's the best gift you've ever gotten?