The Green Room

7 Quick Takes (13)

1

This week was big on femininity!

It started Monday, when I went to see Christopher West give a talk on Theology of the Body. I had really been looking forward to it, and I think my hopes were a little bit too high actually. I'm already familiar with TOB, but this was an introduction for people who aren't. But he still had a lot of interesting stuff to say, and was indeed a dynamic speaker - he used the entire sanctuary and burst into song multiple times! He did a great job talking about our Puritanical tendency to try to repress sexual desire and label it all as bad, comparing it to the extreme of indulging in every desire, and of course resolving this with a correct understanding of our sexuality.

Also, at one point he had all the consecrated celibates in the room come stand at the front. There were two priests and four nuns. He spoke so beautifully of them and their sacrifices that the sisters had tears in their eyes, and I did, too!

2

In my journey towards modesty I keep hearing about these women who look nice even when they just stay at home all day. What?! I'm usually doing good to change out of my pajamas and into my sweatpants by lunchtime. But maybe they had a point in wanting to look nice for their husbands when they got home? I've thought that before. So last week I spotted some long comfy skirts on clearance at New York & Company and got one (less than $8 ladies, and I can't find them online - hurry and get one before they're gone!). Here it is:

I have to say, it was comfortable and kind of fun to be wearing a long skirt all day. When my FIL and I ran out to the store, I was super conscious of my long skirt and had mixed feelings about it. I felt like some people thought I looked nice and feminine, and some people thought I looked like one of those Apostolic women who are only allowed to wear skirts. Then again, I have short hair now, and aren't Apostolic women not allowed to cut their hair? Is it Apostolic I'm thinking of or something else? I digress. And really, I have no idea what people thought because I can't read minds and I was just overanalyzing, as usual.

So at 5:45 came the moment of truth - my husband the scientist came home. "Why do you look so nice?" he asked, trying to remember if we had something to go to that night. Then next, "That's the kind of thing you should wear to church!"

So I guess he liked it.

3

Wednesday night was our ENDOW group! I can't believe we only have one chapter left - our study of JPII's "Letter to Women" has flown by! I feel so blessed to have met and learned from these women. One of the discussion questions that night was "Where do you think Christ might be inviting you to give of your "feminine genius" at the service of the Church?"

"Yes!" I burst out. "I know I'm being called to do that, but there are so many ways, and I'm just not sure which one He wants! If He'd just let me know, I'm in! I'll do it!"

The women were so sweet and reminded me of the importance of praying for discernment and being patient with God's timing, as He gets all the little details ready, in me and in others. One lady had a great analogy. She said we want God to shine a spotlight on the end goal, but He doesn't work that way. He just uses a flashlight to show us the next step to take.

4

There has been a raging debate about the (il)licit use of NFP over at the NFP blog and facebook page. While I was a bit dismayed by the people who basically think it's amoral to ever use it (even though the Pope and entire Magisterium have okayed it), I did think it was a good reminder that we're only supposed to use it to postpone pregnancy when we have grave/serious/just reasons.

But since then I have been having an interior panic attack - are our reasons good enough?! What's the difference between trying to achieve now and two months from now? Four months from now? Agh! My mind is on overdrive!

But that's a good thing, right? It shows we're not using it lightly? It's valuable to reevaluate once in a while. After all, the idea is you reevaluate once a month!

5

And speaking of NFP, last night we went to an introduction to the Creighton Model. We already use and are comfortable with sympto-thermal, so we weren't going to go. Then a lady at church stopped to tell us about it, and she and her husband both raved about how wonderful it was and how the doctors were immediately able to diagnose her endomitriosis. My husband said he'd go if I wanted to, and since he never actually went to any of the classes (we were in different states at the time that I went to them), I jumped at the chance!

The two nurse practitioners who led the program were super enthusiastic and knowledgeable. I don't think we'll be switching unless we happen to have problems with infertility, and boy are they the people to go to for that! Did you know that Artificial Reproductive Technologies (ART) only have a 35% success rate, while Fertility Care centers are successful 80% of the time?! And they're completely moral! It's amazing. I really can't understand why this stuff is ignored by the mainstream - it's so valuable for those dealing with the pain of infertility. And so empowering to know your body!

6

I was listening on the radio about a conference tomorrow that I wish I could go to - Cultured Pearls of Wisdom in the Green Bay area. If you're anywhere near there, you should totally go check it out! It's not too late - you can register at the door. It sounds just great!

7

Now it's time to shift gears and dive into masculinity central: a Steelers game this weekend! I'm excited about seeing my first professional football game, but I'm even more excited about seeing my youngest brother! The game is in Kansas City, where he goes to school, and so my FIL was kind enough to get him a ticket to join us. My youngest brother-in-law is also flying in for it, so this should be a great trip all around!

Check out conversiondiary.com for more Quick Takes!