The Green Room

Even her?

I had to dash into the grocery store this afternoon. I zipped through and made a beeline for the express check-out. The one with the clearly marked "15 items or less."

You already know where this is going, right?

The woman in front of me had waaaaay over 15 items. She had at least 30 items, no joke. It wasn't a "oops, I miscounted" or even "oh, close enough." It was a clear violation of the 15 items or less law.

I have very strong feelings about this. I am that ridiculous OCD shopper who actually takes the time to count the number of things in their cart to ensure they do not breach this rule. And if I have 16, I either question whether I really need that extra can of corn or shuffle off to the long regular lines. I dare not enter the 15 items or less line.

But this woman brazenly went forth. Her heavily made-up face was set in a grimace, as if to dare anyone to say something about her crime. She barely glanced at the line forming behind her. And suddenly a thought interrupted my self-righteous, legalistic snarling. I'm supposed to love everybody - even her.

I shuddered with disdain. "Lord, you don't really want me to show love to this person, do you?" I stalled. "She broke the 15 item or less rule! And I'm sure you mention that somewhere in Exodus, right? Right? No? You told me not to just love my enemy, but my neighbor, too? Ugh. Fine."

With a deep breath, I forced myself to shoot the woman a smile. And she smiled back at me! I might have even detected a bit of relief pass across her face, knowing that the person behind her wasn't going to start loudly complaining about their wait.

Of course, even if she hadn't smiled back at me, even if she had scowled back at me, I would've been doing the right thing. But I have to say, I was so happy she smiled. A girl needs some affirmation sometimes, you know?