The Green Room

Getting to the roots

Yesterday I went to a speaker training for a pro-life group that talks to kids in schools. I wasn't exactly sure that it was something I wanted to do, but I figured it couldn't hurt to learn more about it. I think the idea is a really good one - educate kids from the beginning, and use anatomically correct models of the baby at different stages of development so they can actually see and feel what a fetus looks like.

While I might go sit in on one or two speakers, just to get a feel for how the students respond, I don't think this is something I'm going to pursue. Why not? I just don't feel called to it.

I think it's a very worthwhile cause and am very glad so many people are passionate about helping students to discover when life begins and the other options available in a crisis pregnancy situation. I think they're doing a lot of good.

But they, like so many other groups, only focus on life after conception occurs. They don't ever connect the dots to contraception. When I asked about that, she suggested I try a similar group that talks to teens about chastity.

The thing is, I don't want to talk about abortion. I don't want to talk about chastity. I don't even want to talk only about contraception. I want to get to the root of the matter, which is much more than these things. It's a right understanding of our sexuality. Only when we're able to help teens understand the gift of their sexuality, so they aren't fighting it or just trying to deal with the consequences, will things change. Only then can we become a civilization of love.


What do you think are the roots of our "culture of death"? Have you felt called to volunteer in any particular way? And have any of you gone to any Theology of the Body immersion courses? I'm considering it.