The Green Room

7 Quick Takes (19)

1
Cricket finally smiled!! It happened on Friday night. On Saturday she had her first accident inside. We're crediting ourselves for both incidents.

She went on to have another accident on Sunday and another on Monday, but we've been good since then. How it'll go after we get this predicted snowstorm and the snow is higher than she is, well, that's anybody's guess!

Sidenote: My husband has taken to calling us a pack. As in "She's learning to eat at the same time her pack is" and "I think she likes going for a walk as a pack." It's quite cute.

2
I was really looking forward to telling you all about the awesome Butterick patterns I got on sale at JoAnne's for $1.99 each (sale through tomorrow). But when I went to the store, they didn't actually have a pattern book for Butterick. I was so disappointed!

But I took the woman's advice and went and looked at all the patterns online, so this morning I'm going to go back and just pull the numbers I know I want!

3
Not that I'm going to sew any of these 10 patterns in the next two months, but after that I hope I will! I've started coming up with a list of things I'm going to do after I finish my dissertation to help motivate me through the end. Sewing is definitely on the list - in an ideal world, most of the Christmas gifts we give this year will be sewn by yours truly!

The rest of the list includes reading (next on the list), writing (and blogging!), taking a TOB course, and becoming more active in organizations. Specifically, I'd like to become an ENDOW facilitator, think about joining the board of the Philadelphia NFP Network, and finally join Daughters of the American Revolution.

Wow, I just realized I sound like a nerd. I'm okay with that, though, because I think you all suspected it anyway.

4
We play coed indoor soccer on Sunday nights. This Sunday all games are canceled because it's the Superbowl. Next Sunday is Valentine's Day, and all games are on. Can it be any more obvious that guys are in charge of the scheduling?

5
Speaking of the superbowl, read this awesome article by a woman who is authentically pro-choice and also pro-Tebow. (H/T Fumbling Toward Grace.)

6
Another interesting article I read this week: Us vs The Slow Motion Suicide Pact. He basically points out that even if people who are open to life end up outnumbering those who aren't, that wouldn't automatically change things. An important part of that concept is to ensure that all those children end up with the same values as the parents.

7
Survey: which is the least wasteful treatment of chocolate cake?

Option 1: Make a full 9x13" sheet cake which is not finished by the three people who live in the house (one of whom is a diabetic). Throw away half the cake after a few days.

Option 2: Make just enough of the cake to fill an 8" square pan. Throw away excess batter (trying not to lick it all out of the bowl in the process).

Option 3: Make a full 9x13" sheet cake. Even when the other two people are finished with the cake, continue to gorge yourself day in and day out until you make sure the whole thing was wasted in your stomach and not in the trashcan.
Just trying to decide!