The Green Room

7 Quick Takes (29)

1
We went to the Philly NFP Network conference last Saturday and it was great! There were some really interesting speakers. I even met a girl who reads my blog (hi Rosey!), which was super exciting. One of the speakers was Brian Gail, the author of Fatherless. I bought the book, and look forward to diving into it this summer (no fun reading allowed until the dissertation's finished!).

I came away with several things I wanted to blog about, but have to think about it before I put them up. For example, one of the speakers was Angela Lanfranchi of the Breast Cancer Prevention Institute. She had some really interesting graphics of how breast cancer works and how a full term pregnancy (full term being the key) prevents breast cancer... but my husband and I aren't sure about putting up drawings of breasts on this blog. That seems just a bit too racy for us.

2
Another person who was at the conference was my husband's best friend Mike. Mike is a good guy and he's SINGLE and good-looking and has a good job and he went to an NFP conference. With his mother (but he's not really a mama's boy, as far as I can tell). Ahem. What I'm trying to say is if any of you single Catholic ladies are in the Philadelphia, PA or White Plains, NY area, I totally will hook you up with him. He's a catch. And we want him to have a girlfriend so we can go on double-dates and I can be your best friend, and you'll ask us to be in your wedding. It'll be so much fun!

And while I'm playing matchmaker, for you Christian women in the Kansas City area, my baby brother is also available. He's graduating from college tomorrow, and doesn't have a job yet, but I'm thinking the right woman will inspire him to want to do more than play at a piano bar for the next couple years. He's funny and outgoing and good-looking and I love him to pieces. Bonus: you could become my sister-in-law!

Okay, enough of that. If either of them read this, they'd probably be extremely embarrassed.

3
I finally went through yesterday and cleared out some of the blogs I was following. I realized that I was "following" some that I rarely read, but am missing some from my regular commentors! The plan for next week is to make sure that I'm reading what those of you who comment are writing. I like to feel like these are conversations, so I know where everyone is coming from!

4
A really exciting blog post is coming on Monday. I can't say anything more.

5
We have started planting our garden! Last year was our first to garden, and we loved it. My husband the scientist particularly enjoyed it. I maintain that it's really good for men to get out and do physical labor of some sort, instead of just sitting at a desk all day and then coming home and playing video games or watching TV at night. Actually, I shouldn't just say men - it's good for everyone to get active and spend time in nature!

Anyway, my husband enjoyed it so much that we got double the space this year - 20' x 40'. (We're doing half of it in sweet corn - yummy!) And he's contemplating getting another 20' x 20' section. I hope we're not biting off more than we can chew!

6
My husband is a fence hater. Seriously, he doesn't want a fence for the dog or for the garden, or even when we have children. Well, some deer have gotten to our lettuce, so it looks like a fence might be in his future after all. He's so disappointed.

7
My husband was singing the following song in the shower last night. Yet another reason I love that man.

Have a great weekend everyone!