The Green Room

Cleaning for company

When I was growing up, I always hated cleaning up before company came. I found the tasks especially odious when it was my grandparents coming over. They were family after all - why did it matter if we cleaned for them? I declared on multiple occasions that when I grew up and had my own place, I would never clean before my parents came over!

And yet, my freshman year of college, I was frantically sweeping my dorm floor and wiping the sink before my parents arrived.

Since then I've embraced the inevitable need to tidy up before company comes. It's good motivation to clean, which I usually need! So I spent this morning scrubbing the bathroom, sweeping the kitchen, doing last minute laundry, and trying to figure out how on earth to get all the dog hair off the sofa before my mother arrived.

I planned it all out perfectly, even leaving this little bit of time to finish off a brilliant blog post that I could schedule to show up during my mom's visit. And then this happened:

You've either gotta laugh or cry, and this certainly isn't worth crying over. So I'll be laughing all the way to the airport over my ineptitude at microwaving nacho cheese sauce. What a good reminder that I can't blame all my domestic failures on the baby once he or she arrives!

See you next week!