The Green Room

Introducing New Feminism

I've mentioned my interest in New Feminism several times, but I realized that I've never actually written out a post explaining what it is. Well, Kathleen at Project M recently did so, and I encourage you to go check out her good overview.

As I was pondering what I would include in this post, I came up with quite a list. I realized that I'm too long-winded this is too big of a topic for me to cover in a single post. So my plan is to list some of the issues here and come back and hit on each of them in their own post.

Here are what I see as some of the basic tenets of New Feminism:

  • Women and men are equal and different; they are complementary.
  • Our bodies are important and meaningful.
  • Everyone is called to a type of motherhood or fatherhood.
  • It's not just about power and productivity; more important are relationships and loving service.
  • There is no one "right" place for women.
  • Christianity is not anti-woman.

Are you familiar with New Feminism? What does it mean to you? (I'd love to read other people's posts on the subject!) What questions does this raise for you? And perhaps most importantly, what would feminism need to mean in order for you to proudly identify with it?

Related links:
I'm Just a Girl, What's My Destiny? Post at Fumbling Towards Grace on the Feminine Genius
YouTube clip of Helen Alvare discussing New Feminism
Large list of available articles on New Feminism