The Green Room

7 Quick Takes (39)

1
Last night was our first big garden harvest! We picked 15 big tomatoes and 75+ ears of corn. We shucked, cut, cooked, and froze all but four ears of corn, and can't wait to have homegrown sweet corn this winter!

We weren't really sure what to do with the tomatoes. I've never canned before, and don't have any of the supplies you'd need even if I knew how to do it. So we called my grandparents for advice, and they said to just freeze them! So that's what we'll be doing tonight. I'm sure there are people out there who find putting up tomatoes on a Friday night to be a bit lame, but my husband and I are really excited about it!

What do you do to preserve your tomatoes? Any particular recipes/techniques? I'm still very open to suggestions!

2
We're toying with the idea of buying a half-size deep freeze. Because the corn is already taking up a good amount of freezer space and we haven't even put in the tomatoes:

Our 13 pints of corn. Which is nothing compared to the 76 pints my grandparents put up, but we're still quite pleased!

My husband in particular is surprisingly excited about purchasing a deep freeze. I'm just daydreaming about buying things in bulk and the long-run savings!

3
A secret I discovered last week: maternity shorts are really comfortable! They give you the comfort and durability of blue jeans with the comfort and ease of an elastic waistband and no buttons! (I'm currently wearing the below belly rise.) Do not be surprised if you see me in these next summer, too. They'll fit over the leftover baby weight and stretch to accommodate the extra dessert I have at barbecues - perfect!

4
I've been debating whether or not to tell the baby's name on here once he or she comes. (Note that we haven't actually chosen any names yet - I'm just thinking ahead!) My husband suggested giving the baby an alias such as Sondra, Denise, Theo, Vanessa, or Rudy. Can you guess what our favorite family television show is?

Along the same lines, my husband the scientist has announced that he would like an alias, too. He suggested either Cliff or Dr. Huxtable. I'm thinking maybe Heathcliff. Have you figured out his parenting role model yet?

5
This is going to be a great weekend because one of my very best friends from college and her boyfriend are visiting! They're coming in tonight and staying until Wednesday morning! I'm so excited! (And yay for free Southwest flights!)

6
It seems impossible that the week could get any better, but it is! I'll be attending the Theology of the Body Congress from Wednesday to Friday. I am so excited about going to this!

7
My to-do list is huge! I must get to cleaning!

Have a great weekend everyone!