The Green Room

It is time

Over a year ago, my husband quit Facebook. Liberating is the word he used to describe it - and he almost never checked it. He wasn't obsessed like the rest of us. Ever since then, he's been on me to quit, too. I didn't think I actually would - how else would I keep up with my friends' pictures?

Then last year I gave up Facebook for Lent. It was wonderful. Freeing. But of course I still hopped back on as soon as Easter came around. But I decided to limit what I actually posted on there myself, and by last fall I had almost completely quit putting anything on there.

And yet, I still kept checking it.

I blocked updates one by one until I only saw those from people I like and agree with 100%. And yet I was still often depressed after seeing (and often following) links to sad or upsetting articles.

Last night I was talking to my husband and mentioned how I was again dismayed by a post I had seen. And he said, "That's it! I'm going downstairs and changing your password right now."

And you know what? I was relieved.

He didn't actually change it, I discovered during naptime today. And tonight, what was sitting in the top of my inbox? The REAL Reason to Quit Facebook - and 10 What-Ifs.

Go read it. I'll wait.

I'm taking it as a sign. It is time, and it is something I have to do myself. I'm giving myself the weekend, and then on Monday I am officially canceling my Facebook account.

It's amazing how much freer I already feel. If I ever want to be counter-cultural, here's how I have to start - by selectively unplugging.

Would you ever do it?