The Green Room

fellowship and food

One of my real stumbling blocks to becoming Catholic was the fact that I didn't think that there was any community. I've been very spoiled by the community in my churches in Hannibal and Houston! I've come to see that there can be community in Catholic churches, but in the big ones it is sometimes lacking. So instead of just bemoaning this, Greg and I decided we should do something about it! Luckily several people in my RCIA class want to continue meeting, and we're starting that small group next week. To foster fellowship in addition to study, we invited everyone to our house last night. It was a nice time and a good start!

And we had some good food, if I do say so myself! Most important, after hunting through two grocery stores and asking half a dozen store employees, I found water chestnuts! (Note: teenagers don't actually know what water chestnuts are. They think they're nuts.) I hadn't ever made my mom's bacon-wrapped water chestnut appetizers, but I did and they were a hit - at least with Greg and me! Here's a picture of them sitting in the crockpot:

You should make some. Buy a package of bacon, cut it in half and then wrap them around two cans worth of whole water chestnuts. Broil them. Heat up bbq sauce and jelly and some chopped onion, then put it in the crock pot. Put the browned water chestnuts in and let it heat for ~3 hours. Yum!