The Green Room

worry warts

In my old age I've become more and more of a worrier! The focus of most of my fretting: my brothers. And brother-in-laws. Perhaps adding fuel to the fire is the fact that my husband joins me in this, and we've spent hours discussing our brothers and their futures and their ups and downs along the way.

Often the older two are the focus. But with his older brother getting married in a week and a half and my middle brother finally talking about setting a date with his fiancee, things are pretty good on that front!

So it's the younger brothers we're more anxious about right now. Is his younger brother focusing on his research enough? How is he continuing to cope with the loss of his mother? Is he serious about this girl he's seeing? And on to my baby brother: what was he thinking quitting his internship, which he was so certain he'd love two months ago? What the heck is he going to do with his life?

Actually, maybe you'd have a suggestion for him. Here's a boy who'll be a senior in college with a double major in music and business. He doesn't want to do anything with either. He was the official Tom Sawyer in 8th grade (well, it's a big deal in Hannibal). He worked day and night at church camp for the past two summers and loved that, but unfortunately that's not a full-time year-round career. He thinks he wants to teach so he can work with kids, but doesn't have any subject he'd actually like to teach, and he'd prefer to just work with good kids. Thoughts? No matter how ridiculous, throw anything out there!