The Green Room

7 Quick Takes Friday

I've been doing some major blog browsing in the last couple weeks and my very favorite so far is Jennifer at Conversion Diary. Each week she does this 7 Quick Takes and I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon. While these are usually random thoughts, this week I have the lovely unifying theme of our trip back to Missouri last weekend.

1

My hometown has just started a minor league baseball team: the Hannibal Cavemen. While I don't really care much about the sport, I loved it because it was so small-town America, chatting with your neighbors as the trains chugged by.

2

We went home for my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. Every member of my dad's family made it to the celebration! Life doesn't get much better.

When I told my husband the scientist that I hoped we could make it to our 60th, he reminded me that he doesn't want to live too long and once he gets too old to just put him out to the ocean on an iceberg like the Eskimos do.

3
Conversation with my grandmother:

Grandma G: So when you finish school are you going to get a job or be a housewife?

Me: Well, I'm not sure yet.
(Slightly untrue: I'm pretty sure I know which direction I'm heading.)

Grandma G: Well, you know what I want you to be?

Me: What's that?

Grandma G: It starts with an M.

Me: ... A mommy?!

Grandma G: YES!

4

The next day, my cousin and his wife announced they're pregnant. My grandmother actually jumped up and down. I was very happy for them. Okay, and jealous, too. My husband the scientist reminded me that all I have to do is finish this pesky PhD and then we can give my grandparents cause to leap for joy.

5

Okay, one last kiddo comment. I had soo much fun playing with my cousin's son Mateo. He's not only a beautiful little boy, but also quite articulate and (that day at least) very well-behaved!

I told my mother that I was trying to get the craving for children out of my system.

Then I had to admit it didn't work.

In fact, I think I ovulated while playing with him!

It's a good thing my mom was lying down when I told her this, or I think she would have actually fallen to the ground laughing. Perhaps even funnier is what I didn't tell her - that I actually was quite fertile at the time and truly could have been ovulating!

6

Have you ever played the game Pit? It's perfect for our loud farm family: a lot of yelling and it's all about commodities.

7

We capped off the celebration with fireworks. Every year our fireworks get bigger and better. And more expensive - Dad made us wait in the car so we didn't see how much money he spent on them. But it was a great show! My husband the scientist was particularly tickled by the fact that one fireworks package was called the Instant Party.