The Green Room

oh baby, what a weekend

The wedding weekend was great! And exhausting! Despite the felt absence of the mother-of-the-groom, it was a joyful occasion. Many pictures to come (at least on facebook), but so far my favorite is this one of the three brothers:

My husband took tons of pictures. Here's one of Jerry and Jackie. Jackie was my mother-in-law's best friend. She and I planned the morning after brunch, so we spent a lot of time together this week.

You know how girls get to gabbing. We talked about everything from shades of purple to lox and capers (gross) to what my baby shower will be like. And maybe I wasn't clear enough that that last topic is not imminent. Maybe the hubby and I talk a bit too much about having babies and forget to tag on the word "someday" or "not in the immediate future" or at least "not in the next nine months."

Because when Jackie saw me during the cocktail hour holding the Bride and Groom's Signature Drink (a lemon mojito) she said with barely-disguised shock "You're not drinking that, are you?!"

I was a bit baffled. Yes, I was driving later, but the reception wouldn't be over for five more hours. I hardly ever imbibe, but certainly my one drink of the night wouldn't completely incapacitate me. "Well, I'm only having this one... " I stammered in confusion.

Then it hit me. She must've been under the impression that there was a bun in my oven. She was completely astonished when what she thought was a responsible young woman was thoroughly disregarding its health!

I think she now realizes that she won't need to be buying pink and blue balloons and streamers for a while.