The Green Room

7 Quick Takes (14) - Happy Birthday Hubby!

Today is my husband the scientist's birthday! In honor of this, all seven of my Quick Takes today will be devoted to things I love about him. (If you are inclined to gag, you may stop reading at this time.)

1. He's funny.
One of the very first things that attracted me to my husband the scientist was his sense of humor. He's hilarious! I know a lot of people say this about their loved ones, but in his case it's not just my subjective opinion. He's a funny man. And bonus: his jokes aren't raunchy. They can be corny, but they're never disgusting.

2. He's handsome and healthy.

I hate to brag, but my husband is a handsome man. You know the statue of David? My husband's body looks like that. I have a hard time keeping my hands off him!

Related to this, my husband is very healthy. While that may annoy me once in a while, usually I love it. Because when your husband makes sure to eat healthy and exercise, guess what you end up doing? Eating healthy and exercising. (Seriously, since being with him, and specifically eating together, my body looks better than it did when I was in college!) And why does he do it? Because he wants to live a healthy life, to be able to play with his kids and grandkids and not have to take 7+ pills a day by the time he turns 50. I fully support this goal!

3. He is passionate.
I love it when my husband gets all fired up. Sometimes I intentionally bring up a topic, just to get him going! Things are very black and white for my husband. (We complement each other well in that way, because I usually see several shades of gray!) While his passion is usually only revealed in his tirades against XYZ, it's definitely there in a positive way as well.

4. He takes care of me.
I feel so safe and secure with my husband. I think part of the reason is that he actually likes being a man. He likes protecting and providing for his family. I've realized that this is not oppressive in the least - it's actually liberating! (But I'll stop there, because it seems like that should be a whole other blog post!) I am so blessed that he takes his responsibilities seriously and embraces them!

5. He cares about other people.
My husband doesn't just limit his love to me and our future children. He cares about both of our families, even if he's annoyed by someone and doesn't want to care! The most obvious example of him caring for others is us moving in with his father. I am so proud of how my husband has stepped up since his mother passed away. He has taken on so much, during a time when many people might just turn into themselves in their grief.

Whew, and before I start crying just thinking about it, let me move on! I'll just add that he cares about his friends and even about our society, and I love him all the more for all this caring!

6. He helps me.
In everything from the dishes to my dissertation, my husband plays an active role. He'll empty the dishwasher in the morning so I don't have to. He'll cook whatever steak or crab cakes that I find too intimidating. He'll proofread and offer suggestions on an abstract I've written, even though linguistics is not his field at all. He'll clean the bathtub. Life really is easier when you have a partner to help you. It helps when your "partner" is married to you and is your best friend.

7. He is my best friend.
There are so many other things I could add, but that is really the best way to end this. My husband is my best friend. We can talk about everything! He makes my life so much better. I thank God every single day for letting me be married to the person I love most in this world.

Happy birthday to my snugglebunny! I love you!

For more Quick Takes, visit Jen at www.conversiondiary.com.