The Green Room

The clearance aisle

I have a weakness for the clearance aisle. With much effort, I've been able to get it under control. After years of practice, I am now able to walk through the superstore clearance aisle without picking anything up. I can browse the shoe clearance aisle without sitting down to try any on. I can spend half an hour sorting through the clothing clearance aisle and trying clothes on and leave without buying anything. (Please note that I'm still not strong enough to simply avoid the clearance aisle - what if there's a spectacular deal lurking there?!)

But yesterday I rediscovered a clearance aisle that I could not master.

The fabric store clearance aisle. There were actually three aisles worth of clearance fabric. Through the first aisle, I was staying strong. The second aisle, I felt myself start to crumble. And in the third aisle, when I saw this fabric on clearance, I was a goner.

Normally $17 a yard, on sale for $8! Won't it make the most adorable little boy's baby blanket?

Never mind that I've rarely used my sewing machine in the last 6+ years.

Never mind that I should be spending my spare time and money on birthday gifts and Christmas gifts.

Never mind that I shouldn't even have spare time, since my research deadlines are looming.

Never mind that we're nowhere close to having a baby.

I had to have this fabric.

Never mind that I did not actually buy any batting or other things necessary to actually turn it into a blanket. For now, just rubbing my face against it and daydreaming of the day that it will wrap around a small child will have to be enough.

Anyone else out there with a particular clearance aisle weakness? Or an all-things-baby-related weakness?