The Green Room

Dress Dare Lifesaver: The Skort

I know what you're thinking. Really, Elizabeth? A skort? Didn't your friends convinvce you that those were out of style years ago?

Yes, they did. And yet, skorts are just so darn practical! Especially when you're committed to wearing a skirt or dress every day for a month. When we're out running errands and those errands include a trip to the garden, I don a skort. (I can't tell you how many people would've gotten flashed while weeding otherwise!) When I think I might be able to squeeze a workout in but am not sure exactly when, a skort gets pulled on. I imagine once I'm chasing a toddler around, skorts will be a must.

I only own three skorts - two running skorts (basically like tennis skirts) and another everyday one - but they are now in high rotation in my wardrobe. I have my eyes open for more every time I go shopping. The good thing is that nowadays you can get skorts that really just look like skirts, instead of being a skirt in the front and shorts in the back.

Are you still shaking your head? Look, I'll show you. Below is a picture of two casual skirts. Only, one's a skort! And I bet you can't tell which is which.

Please ignore the wrinkles, as I pulled these from the bottom of the laundry basket to take this picture.

If you've shunned skorts since middle school, I encourage you to give them a second chance. And if you've already realized the beauty of skorts, do share! (Or am I really the only woman out there wearing one?)