The Green Room

EC on the go

I was a little apprehensive about trying elimination communication outside of our home. But with a long trip to visit my family for Easter, I figured there was nothing to lose in trying it!

The first day we woke up at 3:30 in the morning to get to the airport for our 6:30 am flight. I was a bit concerned because Miriam always poops first thing in the morning when she wakes up, which is between 6:00 and 7:00. What if she pooped during the flight?!

So right before the plane boarded, I carried my four month old daughter into the bathroom. I held her over the toilet, a new position that we'd started practicing just for this trip. And... she peed immediately! I waited a bit in the hopes that #2 would follow, but no such luck. Still, I proudly diapered up my baby again and away we went.

It was an uneventful flight with no diaper explosions, and after arriving and letting her grandparents love on her, it was time for a diaper change before the long drive home. Since we were in the bathroom anyway, I once again took her into a stall and held her over the toilet. Another immediate pee! By now I was elated. My baby not only did great on her first plane ride, but she also peed in two different airport bathrooms!

Back at my parents' house later that afternoon, I decided to try it again. It was time for a diaper change anyway. I held Miriam over the bathroom sink and she gave me a smile of relief.

"Mom, Miriam just pooped in the sink!" I hollered with excitement.

My poor parents, who don't really know what to think about this whole EC venture, weren't sure how to react. Finally my mother just shook her head and informed her crazy daughter that there were disinfectant wipes in the closet to clean the sink with.

And after that, Miriam was able to have her regular morning constitutional each day of our trip. You read that right, my friends - there was not a single poopy diaper! If anyone's counting, this makes 8 weeks (56 days) of elimination communication and only three days of yucky diapers to clean up. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked. While we're nowhere close to being able to travel or even go about our daily lives without diapers (she just pees too often for that), it is really cool to know that my baby can and will go in the bathroom instead of her diaper if she's only given the opportunity!