The Green Room

The proposal

The final part of my conversion to Catholicism will be posted on Friday! But in the meantime, here's the story of how my husband proposed to me. I love getting to read other people's engagement stories - if you do, too, go visit Betty Beguiles and read lots more! Thanks for the fun topic, Hallie!

I knew when Gregory was going to propose to me. I didn't really need or expect it to be a surprise. And by that time (a whopping two years after we'd started dating), I'd already had a full year's subscription to a bridal magazine. I just needed the ring that I knew he had bought so I could officially start planning our wedding!

He had moved back to his hometown and started working, and I was flying out to visit him. I pulled out every item in my closet and agonized over each outfit. Finally I carefully packed a dress or skirt for each day. I wanted to look good in the pictures when he finally popped the question!

The evening I flew in we went out to dinner. I put on a dress and giggled in anticipation. It didn't happen that night. That would be far too cliche for my beau.

The next day I donned a sweet skirt. It didn't happen that day. How long was he going to make me wait?!

The next day I again pulled on a skirt. But that morning Greg suggested we go for a bike ride. I looked in my suitcase with dismay. The only workout clothes I had brought were a t-shirt and shorts, and it was too cold for that. In all honesty, it was too cold for all the cute summery dresses I had packed, but I was doggedly wearing them anyway!

I borrowed a pair of my husband's track pants and a sweater and off we went. After deciding that it was actually too cold to bike, we hopped in the car and went for a drive. On a whim Greg decided to take me up a tower at a nearby tourist site. At the top we looked around.

"Is this a good time for me to propose?" Greg asked.

"Really? Yes!!" I squealed.

Greg pulled out the ring that he'd been carrying around all week and slipped it on my finger. He didn't even bother asking if I would marry him, as it was a given! I was elated.

And it didn't even matter that I was wearing sweats.