The Green Room

Quick Takes (76)

1
I came up with an awesome Halloween costume idea: the Flintstones! However, my husband informed me that he was too skinny to be Fred and it would be too cold for Miriam to be Pebbles. So I thought I'd at least share the idea with you, in case you have a bigger husband and/or warmer climate.

2
What are your thoughts on growing your own herbs? For some reason I romanticize the notion, but seeing as I've never actually cooked with fresh herbs, I don't know that it's the most important thing I could be doing with my time. Is there a good reason to use fresh herbs instead of dried? The little dried containers are just so easy.

3
I finally joined Pinterest, and as expected, am obsessed. However, part of me thinks I may be too practical for it. I see beautiful things, like rooms done in all white, but realistically I know there is no way I would ever have an all white room (even if we didn't have a child - I couldn't be trusted in one), so I don't bother to pin it.

Never gonna happen.

4
I know most parents are supposed to think this, but I'm pretty sure my daughter is the smartest baby ever. Evidence: I gave her an empty vitamin container to play with and in less than two minutes the childproof cap was off!

5
Wait, your child doesn't spend a good part of her day playing with the recycling? How do you keep her occupied when you're trying to cook?

6
I'm reading a book that really stresses having your child try as many green vegetables as possible before she turns two. So in the canned vegetable aisle the other day, I noticed collard greens and decided it was high time for Miriam to try them. Now I realize that they likely aren't the healthiest because (a) they were canned and (b) they were preseasoned, but seeing as I know absolutely nothing about collard greens, I decided this was a good place to start.

Turns out, Miriam really liked them! However, we decided she would never eat them again, because (a) we didn't like them and (b) they stunk up the whole house.

But then she was willing to eat them for her lunch the next two days in a row. This from the baby who loves carrots but never eats them as leftovers. So collard greens may be making a few more appearances. The can just holds soo much, though, that I'm toying with the idea of making them from scratch. What do you think?

7
I tried on a couple different outfits for my class reunion last night to get my husband's take. His conclusion? That I need to spend some money and revamp my wardrobe. Coincidentally, I had just been thinking the same thing when I finished reading Jen's article about aprons and thought to myself "Now if only I could remember to actually wear a decent outfit underneath my apron instead of gym clothes."

So while that does me no good at all when it comes to what to wear tonight, it is nice to know I have my husband's blessing to go clothes shopping! Before I go I think I need to finally sit down and figure out my style and all that stuff. My husband and I discussed it a bit last night, but you know how I like to research stuff before doing anything. Do you have any good book suggestions on the topic? I know Hallie and Sarah have mentioned some before, but I haven't searched their archives yet.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!
Have a great weekend!