The Green Room

Selective technical difficulties

Since moving in with my FIL, we've adjusted to various things, good and not-so-good. The biggest not-so-good was the internet. Now, it is a good thing that he has wireless (something my own parents have never gotten). But for some reason, the connection would be fine for some websites but not work at all for others!

Case in point: Facebook would always work. Google would never work. Gmail worked about 1/3 of the time. Signing in to blog worked most of the time, until this week when it refused to work at all. The half-marathon webpage also wouldn't load. And on an unrelated note, ALL THE DATA FOR MY RESEARCH DISAPPEARED FROM THE SURVEY PROGRAM I'M USING.

I almost had a conniption. (Please note that I don't actually know what a conniption is, but I'm pretty sure it almost happened.) How could it get worse? A good part of this occurred when my husband the scientist was off on a business trip. This meant that not only was I lacking moral support, but I didn't limit my internet time to while he was at work. This resulted in me attempting to load these pages every 2 hours from the moment I woke up until the last second before I went to bed. It was not healthy.

But guess what? I contacted the survey people and they were very helpful (they should be, I pay enough per month) and restored my surveys and data. Turns out that wasn't my fault at all, which is always good to hear.

As for the internet, I couldn't think of any way that Comcast could possibly intentionally block Google-related sites and a few random others. It couldn't just be the connection. I resigned myself to the fact that God was clearly telling me to spend less time blogging. This didn't stop me from reading many other blogs and then being frustrated that I couldn't log in to comment on them. Could I be a bit more inconsistent? I told myself that I really truly needed to move on and focus on my research instead, before it all disappeared again. Oh, and not spend so much time working out. There's no easier way to stop exercising than to tell yourself that it's not God's will! :-P

Then this morning my FIL called the internet people and after being on the phone for an hour and turning things off and on and moving routers and modems and whatever else, the internet is back. Which means I can blog again (I'm sure you missed me). And go sign up for that race. And not learn any lasting lessons from this episode.

Wait, would that last one be a mistake?